Tuesday 12 June 2012

Lack of sleep makes you Fat!!!

yawwwwwn I get tired, and some times when I close my eyes things get frustratingly serious. Does counting sheep really work? Sometimes it works but most of the time I can't seem to drift off. Lots of people have similar problems weather its nagging problems at work or if I am anticipating a problem in the morning. Thinking about stuff over and over again seems to begins that cycle of a frustrating night. You end up watching the clock and it moves on slowly at first and before you know it, the sun rises.
I guess watching Tv doesn't work but who cares I like to watch my shows before I sleep. In the hope of making the last thing I see, become some cool dream that has me being the hero or main character.


One thing I used to do was to spin round and round till I got dizzy and lay in my bed with my head swirling around sort of helped me to sleep. Most of the time I felt nauseous and I got used to the dizziness and gave it up. Sleeping the natural way can be difficult for insomniacs like my self. There are of course herbal prescriptions and over the counter sleeping drugs. In my case the herbal don't work very well. And I didn't like the scary list of side effects you get from sleeping drugs.



  • Side effects. Side effects can be severe and include prolonged drowsiness the next day, confusion, forgetfulness and dry mouth.
  • Drug tolerance. You may have to take more and more of the sleep aid for it to work, which in turn can lead to more side effects.
  • Drug dependence. You may come to rely on sleeping pills to sleep, and will be unable to sleep or have even worse sleep without them.
  • Withdrawal symptoms. If you stop the medication abruptly, you may have withdrawal symptoms, such as nausea, sweating and shaking.
  • Drug interactions. Sleeping pills can interact with other medications. This can worsen side effects and be dangerous, especially with prescription painkillers and other sedatives.
  • Rebound insomnia. If you need to stop taking sleeping pills, sometimes the insomnia can become even worse than before.
  • Masking an underlying problem. There may be an underlying medical or mental disorder, or even a sleep disorder, causing your insomnia that can’t be treated with sleeping pills.


    There is of course, lots of tips on how to sleep.

    • block out light from windows don't have music or TV on while preparing to sleep.
    • have a sleeping ritual something like yoga meditation or reading a book.
    • Use your bed to sleep and try not to see it as a lounge or a chair or work place
    • if you are going to eat have a light snack and don't go to bed hungry or heavy with food
    • Exercise regularly to regulate you energy levels for night and day but don't exercise before bed
    • any thoughts or feelings played over in your mind could be written down as a way to rid the mind of anxiety 
    • herbal teas like chamomile is a natural  relaxant  valerian root, kava kava, lemon balm, passionflower, lavender, and St. John’s Wort are also have been used to help aid sleep
    • Magnesium has been know as a muscle relaxant, it also has been used to prevent cramping and could help with leg cramps in exercise or sleep disorders

    The truth of the matter is I didn't really know about how get to sleep properly, these tips I been researching might help or might not. But further studying I found that lack of sleep could indirectly lead to gaining weight. The hormone imbalance of cortisone, which is related to stress. High levels of cortisone would break muscle tissue and increase blood sugar. Lack of sleep depresses testosterone and catecholamines which regulates growth and metabolic rates.


    In other words if you don't sleep properly, it would eventually make you fat!!. This doesn't seem likely, but my own experience is that I might be effected. Hopefully if I get back on track with the sleep tips I learnt and the things I know on sleep. I might start to improve my quality of life...

    No comments:

    Post a Comment